TABLE OF CONTENTS
The awaited return of the most obvious seasonal signal
The "brilliant" sectors of the sky
An assembly of sacred images
by stars in the night,
by nature "dramatic" figures
Why make reference to
Measuring time in "moons"
When lunar imagery is combined
with stellar imagery to compose
a "mythical cinema"
The human condition
and its development
Among these very ancient readings that seem to have come from a hunting and gathering culture of Paleolithic origins, the outstanding interpretation is that the vast silhouette represents:
- a great Hide of a beast, with the "V" of Hyades being the head of the beast detached from the body (Boeotian myth of the "Birth of Orion", corroborated by an identical Amazon interpretation). From which the interpretation of:
- Hide tunic, the tunic that carries Life and Death, (myth of Herakles/Hercules and Nessus) then as…
- Figure-Eight Shield, originally of animal hide (Cycladic images and the Roman "Ancile", the shield fallen from the heavens).
Other remarkable interpretations: the shape of the "8" inspires (both in Amazonia and in the Cyclades) the interpretation of :
Two topographical readings have capital importance in religion: the great quadrilateral marked by the three lights was seen universally as:
- A ceremonial ax, symbol of the thunderbolt that strikes, absolute divine power, a Doubleheaded Ax hafted on the alignment of Sirius / Orion’s Belt (Labrys, in the hands of Zeus/Dios a thundering "labrandos")
Other, much later readings provide evidence that they were the visions of cultivators. They assimilate the silhouette of the Great Quadrilateral with that of human constructions of wood or stone: :
- the "First cleared garden", Celestial enclosure" (Paradeiza, Paradise Garden), where three fruit or three flames of a "firebrand" shown (myth of Meleager, the Black Hunter). This enclosure is visited by Three Sages, Three Gods, Three Kings, Three Mages),
the great quadrilateral also appears, particularly in the eastern Mediterranean, as…Le
- the "Chest" (Arca) that contains expanding life,
That would be the Chest-cradle of the divine Envoy, the Child of the New Year, run aground on the banks of the Milky Way after having been tossed on celestial waves, escaping death.Le "Coffre"
(Arca) qui contient la Vie en expansion. Ce sera le Coffre-berceau
de l'Envoyé divin, l'Enfant de l'An Nouveau, échoué
sur les rives de la Voie Lactée après avoir, errant
sur les flots célestes, échappé à la
- Sieve, frame for sorting grain (Amazonia). The multitude of white spots of the Milky Way would then be spilled grain.
- Mill for grinding grain (Mediterranean) : aletropodion (cited by Scaliger): the bobbin-like shape of an antique mill turning on a stone cone makes this a likely comparison. The nocturnal Giant operates this mill, which pours a trail of galactic flour or salt.
The tale of Eros and Psyche, which brings to mind these last images in the episode of Psyche’s (the soul’s) voyage to the Kingdom of Death, as well as the Tarots, (heirs to the spell-casting tablets used in temples) suggests that the upper trapezoid of Orion was seen as the silhouette of…
- the Tower of the sky, center of cosmic thunderbolts and symbol of death (Persian: the Rokh, both a mobile war tower and a terrifying winged figure).